Harvested about three weeks before the garlic bulb itself, garlic scapes make for sumptuous dishes. Only available for a short period each year they can be made into wonderful pesto, hummus and salads or cooked lightly as a veg allowing the flavours to sweeten and mellow. Perfect for summer dining.
- 50g cashew nuts
- 100g garlic scapes
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Juice of ½ lime
- 75ml sunflower oil
- 1 bunch of garlic scapes
- A pinch pd sea salt
- A pinch of ground black pepper.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Juice of ½ a lemon
Garlic Scape Pesto
1. Put all the ingredients in a blender and whiz until smooth.
2. Eat with bread, crackers or stir through pasta.
Cooked garlic scapes
1. Trim the ends off the scape.
2. Cut each scape in half.
3. Blanch boiling salted water for 1 minute and then drain.
4. Fry in a little olive oil for 2 minutes allowing the scale head to char a little.
5. Plate and serve with a splash or lemon.