Serves 4-8 | 30 mins prep
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, diced or 3 x 400g tins of plum tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- ½ cup oloroso sherry
- ¾ cup Spanish extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1 inch-thick slices rustic bread
- ¼ cup Spanish olive oil
- ½ cucumber diced
- ½ green bell pepper, seeded and dived
- ½ red bell pepper seeded and diced
- Sea salt to taste
1. Combine the diced cucumber, peppers, tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, sherry, olive oil and 2 cups of water in a food processor or blender. Puree the ingredients until everything is well blended into a thick liquid. Pour the gazpacho through a medium strainer into a jug. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 450º. Cut the bread in to 1-inch cubes and toss in a mixing bowl with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Spread the bread on a baking tray and bake on the middle shelf until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Pour the chilled soup into cups or bowls. Top with the croutons, cucumber and peppers. Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with the remaining olive oil.