This dish has been created by Aine Maguire of The Idle Wall Restaurant in Westport for the Theatre of Food at the Electric Picnic 2015 with ingredients from Ardkeen Quality Food Store. It's part of the hangover cure series of recipes - something that may come in handy at Electric Picnic
Serves 4-6 | 50 mins prep
- 2/3 kg Beef Bones…. specifically to include the Shin Bones with the marrow.
- 1 Oxtail broken into 5/6 pieces
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 60 ml cider vinegar
- 3 carrots, washed, peeled & roughly chopped
- 3 celery sticks, washed, peeled & roughly chopped
- 3 onions, peeled & quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons curly parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 strips kombu (Seaweed)
- 1 oyster per person
Please all the bones in a roasting tin.
Mix the tomato paste and the oil together to form a paste and smear this all over the bones.
Roast the bones until they are brown. We just want to get some good colour on them. Colour = flavour!!! (45 mins max).
Once roasted, place the bones in a large stock pot. Large enough so you can cover them well with cold water. Add the vinegar and cover with a lid. Now bring to the boil and then remove the lid. Simmer uncovered for 3 hours.
While simmering remove the fat from the surface from time to time.
Add all the remaining ingredients and continue to simmer uncovered for a further 3 hours.
Strain through a fine sieve.
Add a 2 strips of Kombu to the liquor. Bring this to the boil and then simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the Kombu.
Pour this liquid into a mug. Plonk a raw oyster into the hot liquid.
Eat/drink/swallow = feel better!