"This is a great fridge scavenging recipe as you can fill the cabbage leaves with all sorts of mixtures. Use leftover potato, pasta, rice or grains, boost their flavour with cheese, bacon, or simply onions and spices, then wrap it all up in steamed cabbage leaves."
6 to 8 large outer cabbage leaves (Des & Olive Thorpe’s Organic Cabbage)
2 shallots, peeled, diced
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
300 - 400g Cooked Quinoa, Chickpeas, spelt, rice, potatoes
Extras : bacon bits, fresh herbs, parmesan, cheddar, feta, olives, fresh tomatoes, tomato purée, raw carrots, olives, pickles…
1. Steam the cabbage for about 20 minutes, until the leaves are really easy to manipulate.
2. Heat the oven to 180C.
3. Heat the oil and butter in a wide pan and cook the shallots on a medium heat until soft.
4. Add the filling for the parcels and heat it through, letting it crisp up and brown in places.
5. Add the tasty extras as you please and cook until everything is nice and hot.
6. Spoon the filling into the middle of the cabbage and fold the leaf over to enclose it in a parcel. Place the parcel, open side down, in a gratin dish. Continue making the parcels until they are snug in the dish.
7. Dot with a little more butter and pop in the oven to heat through again.
8. Serve immediately.