St Stephen's Day... the day after Christmas is a day you might want a lighter meal. This stir fry just fits the bill. A perfect way to use leftover turkey and ham. Use the same recipe with a different meat (or no meat at all!) at any time of the year.
- 60g (2 oz) Piece Fresh Root Ginger
- 1 Tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 Tbs. Honey
- 1 Tbs Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbs. Balsamic Vinegar
- Half Pint Vegetable Stock (Stock Cube will do)
- 2 tsps Arrowroot or Cornflour slaked in a little water.
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Yellow Pepper
- Half-Pound Courgettes
- 450g (1 lb of Meat) (left over Turke or Turkey & Ham) cut into little strips.
- OR 1 lb of Pork Steak (or Chicken Fillet) trimmed, cut into little strips and cooked through in some Sunflower oil on a hot pan.
First make the sauce.....
Finely grate the root ginger (dried ginger will not substitute for this).
Add the cumin and let them cook together for a few minutes to release the flavour.
Add the honey, vinegar and soy sauce and stock, and when they are simmering together add the slaked arrowroot or cornflour (the sauce should not be too thick, add some more water if necessary).
Once the sauce is ready, just set aside.
Now slice the onion, peppers and the courgettes into narrow strips like thin chips.
Heat some sunflower oil in a large pan or wok and on a high heat cook first the onion, then the peppers and then the courgettes until softened.
Add in the spicy sauce and simmer together.
Now add in the cooked meat, (if you wanted to make this vegetarian just add some extra vegetables to the ones you have cooked, Broccoli or Carrot cut into strips work well).
Once the dish has come back to the boil you are ready to go.
Serve with rice or noodles.