A picky eater as a child, Ceara's first job as a waitress activated her taste buds and love of food. Studying Culinary Arts at Waterford Institute of Technology Ceara pursued pastry gaining a Baking and Pastry Scholarship to Johnson & Wales University in the United States.
“I always loved baking bread at home but never got to pursue it in my career until I joined the Ardkeen family. I use books and social media to learn from the Bread Folk. Bakers are the most helpful people, chefs sometimes hide their tricks, but bakers will always be honest. Mainly because no two bakers bake the same bread, we've all got our tricks!”
This recipe uses a sourdough starter for a fabulous brownie with a texture which is divinely dense, smooth, and fudgy.
Serves 10 | 45 mins prep
- 300g dark chocolate (70%)
- 225g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Eggs
- 40g coco powder
- 220g Sourdough starter
2. Grease & line a 9 x 13-inch tray.
3. Melt chocolate and butter together, microwave or over a pot of simmering water until smooth.
4. Whisk eggs and sugar until light.
5. Fully add vanilla, salt and coco, whisk till smooth.
6. Add melted mix to eggy mix and combined.
7. Stir in sourdough starter.
8. Pour into prepared tin and bake for 25-30 minutes.
9. I like my brownies fudgy so always check that no residue is left.
10. Allow to cool & cut into portions.
Serve warmed with ice-cream.