"This is based on a Delia recipe which I love because you simply layer everything and leave it alone in the oven for two hours or so. The juice gives the cabbage the most wonderful flavour."
1 small red cabbage (1kg or so) (Thorpes Organic Cabbage)
3 or 4 onions, peeled, chopped finely
3 or 4 apples, peeled, chopped finely
1 or 2 teaspoons of mixed spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, as you like)
2 or 3 juniper berries
2 or 3 whole cloves
3 tablespoons golden muscovado sugar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar ( Clashganny Cider Vinegar)
200ml apple juice (Ballycross Apple Juice)
1. Pre heat the oven to 150C.
2. Remove the tough leaves and base of the cabbage and shred it finely.
3. Layer it with the apples, onions and spices in a large casserole dish.
4. Finally, pour in the vinegar and the apple juice.
5. Put the lid on the pot and leave to braise in the oven for 2 or 2 ½ hours, until tender and soft.
6. Season and serve hot or warm.