This dish has been created by Kevin O'Toole (Chameleon Restaurant) & Sham Hanifa (The Cottage Restaurant) for the Theatre of Food at the Electric Picnic 2016 with ingredients from Ardkeen Quality Food Store.
Luscious and creamy, this or my Creamy Cabbage Soup with Black Pudding Crumbs will make a chic little starter to a springtime dinner. Super practical and easy to prep and then heat just before serving.
- 1.5 pound Boneless Beef Short Ribs (cut into cubes)
- 5 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 3 Cloves
- 3 Star Anise
- 3 Cardamon Pods
- 1 Lemongrass (cut into 4-inch length and pounded)
- 1 cup Thick Coconut Milk
- 1 cup Water
- 2 teaspoons Tamarind Pulp (soaked in some warm water for the juice and discard the seeds)
- 6 Kaffir Lime Leaves (very finely sliced)
- 6 tablespoons Kerisik (toasted coconut)
- 1 tablespoon Sugar/Palm Sugar or to taste
- Salt to taste
- Spice Paste:
- 5 Shallot
- 1 inch Galangal
- 3 Lemongrass (white part only)
- 5 cloves of Garlic
- 1 inch Ginger
- 10-12 dried Chilies (soaked in warm water and seeded)
Chop the spice paste ingredients and then blend it in a food processor until fine.
Heat the oil in a stew pot, add the spice paste, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, and cardamom and stir-fry them until aromatic.
Add the beef and the pounded lemongrass and stir for 1 minute.
Add the coconut milk, tamarind juice, water, and simmer on medium heat, stirring frequently until the meat is almost cooked.
Add the kaffir lime leaves, kerisik (toasted coconut), sugar/palm sugar, stirring to blend well with the meat.
Lower the heat, cover the lid, and simmer for 1 – 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is really tender and the gravy has dried up.
Add salt to taste. If not sweet enough, add more sugar to taste.
Serve immediately with steamed rice. (To prepare the kerisik or toasted coconut, just add the grated coconut to a dry wok and stir continuosly until they turn golden brown)