Send to a friend
Just submit the form below to send Tea Brack By Julie Ward to a friend.×
Tea Brack By Julie Ward
350ml strong tea
25g mixed peel, roughly chopped
25g glace cherries, quartered
25g blanched almonds, roughly chopped
150g light muscovado sugar
210g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp fine salt
1 beaten egg
1. Place the currants and sultanas in a large heatproof bowl, pour over the tea and then leave to soak for at least six hours.
2. Heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4.
3. Grease and line a 13cm x 20cm loaf tin.
4. Stir the peel, cherries and almonds into the soaked fruit mixture.
5. Separately, mix the sugar, flour, baking powder, spices and salt and then stir into the fruit with the beaten egg.
6. Tip the loaf mix into the tin, smooth the top and bake for 90 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean. If the top looks to be going too dark or burning on top towards the end, cover with foil.
7. Remove from the tin, allow to cool.