Send to a friend
Just submit the form below to send Pumpkin Soup By Julie Ward to a friend.×
Pumpkin Soup By Julie Ward
2 table spoons of olive oil
2 onions finely chopped
1 clove of garlic
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 lb pumpkin deseeded, peeled and chopped
1 carrot chopped
2 sticks of celery chopped
700ml vegetable or chicken stock
150ml double cream or coconut milk as you prefer. I suggest full fat coconut milk
Salt and pepper
For the croutons
2 tbsp olive oil
4 slices wholemeal seeded bread, crusts removed
A handful pumpkin seeds
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan then gently cook the onions for 5 mins, until soft but not coloured. Add the garlic and cumin and cook for a further minute.
- Add the pumpkin or squash, carrot and celery stirring occasionally until it starts to soften and turn golden.
- Add the vegetable or chicken stock into the pan and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to a simmer for 20 mins until the squash is very soft.
- Pour 150ml double cream (or the coconut milk) into the pan, bring back to the boil, then purée. For an extra-velvety consistency you can pour the soup through a fine sieve. This soup freezes well for up to 2 months.
To make the croutons:
- Heat the frying pan. Dry fry a handful of pumpkin seeds for about 2 minutes until toasty but not charred. Set aside.
- Cut 4 slices wholemeal seeded bread into small squares.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and then fry the bread until it starts to become crisp.
- Reheat the soup if needed, taste for seasoning, then serve scattered with croutons and seeds and drizzled with more olive oil, if you like.