Send to a friend
Just submit the form below to send Patatas Bravas By Julie Ward to a friend.×
Patatas Bravas By Julie Ward
1.5kg peeled Irish Roosters
180ml olive oil, for shallow frying
125ml olive oil
225g onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
400g can of chopped tomatoes
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp sugar
1 tsp smoked hot Spanish paprika (pimentón picante), plus a little extra
1/2 tsp crushed dried chilli flakes
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes until soft and very lightly coloured.
2. Add the tomatoes, water, salt and sugar. Bring to the boil then lower the heat and simmer gently uncovered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Stir occasionally until you have a puree like consistency.
3. Leave to cool and then blend in a food processor until smooth. Return to the heat and add the pimentón, chilli flakes and vinegar. Mix together well adjusting the seasoning to taste. Thin with up to 3 tbsp of water if the sauce is too thick.
4. Cut the potatoes into small even-sized chunks and cook in a large pan of well-salted water for 6-7 minutes or until just tender, then drain well.
5. Heat the olive oil in two large non-stick frying pans; divide the potatoes between them and shallow-fry in a single layer for 10-12 minutes, turning regularly, until crisp and golden.
6. Spoon the potatoes onto warmed plates, drizzle over the sauce, and sprinkle with pimentón.