Send to a friend
Just submit the form below to send Julie Ward Borscht to a friend.×
Julie Ward Borscht
300g beetroot, peeled
1 small onion, 1 small carrot, 1 stick of celery peeled where necessary and cut into small dice
½ tsp allspice
1 bay leaf
1.5l gelatinous beef stock (or vegetable stock if you prefer)
2 medium floury potatoes peeled and cut into small dice
½ small cabbage, shredded
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp sea salt
Sour cream or kefir and fresh dill, to serve
1. Cut the peeled beetroot into small dice. Melt the butter in a large pan and then soften the onion over a gentle heat for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Add the carrot, leek, celery, diced beetroot, allspice and stir well to coat with butter. Cook for 5 minutes.
3. Pour in the stock, the potatoes and the bay leaf. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook for a further 10 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
4. Add the vinegar, sugar, pepper and salt. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
5. Remove the bay leaf. Blend to a smooth consistency. You can also leave it unblended if you prefer a chunkier soup.
6. Serve with some sour cream or kefir.
Borscht can also be served cold in summertime and makes a great lunch served with hard boiled eggs and potato salad.