The Perfect Christmas Dessert Iced meringue cake with roast figs and plums in amaretto
- A little rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 500ml cream
- 1 tablespoon sieved icing sugar
- 2 drops vanilla extract or even better the scraped seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- 8 meringue shells (shop bought or homemade)
- For the roast figs and plums...
- 16 fresh firm figs
- 12 firm plums
- 150mls red wine
- 100mls amaretto, plus a little extra
- 200g sugar
- 6 tablespoons cassis, plus a little extra
- 300g blackberries or seedless black grapes
- Lightly oil a large pudding basin or similar sized ceramic bowl. Whip the cream in a large bowl until soft peaks form, then fold in the icing sugar and vanilla. Break each meringue shell roughly into three pieces and add to the bowl. Stir just enough to mix.
- Fill the pudding basin with the meringue mixture up to the brim. Cover with film or a lid and freeze overnight.
Roast Figs and Plums
- Preheat the oven to 180oC. Cut the figs in half, lengthways without slicing all the way through. Halve the plums and remove the stones. Put the figs and plums into a shallow ovenproof dish that will hold the fruit in a single layer. Mix the wine, amaretto, 150g sugar and 4 tablespoons cassis i a pan and heat, stirring to help the sugar dissolve. Simmer until reduced by a third, then pour over the fruit. Leave in the oven for approx 20 minutes, then remove, add the grapes and pop back in for another ten minutes. Sprinkle the rest of the sugar on top of the fruit. To serve the cake, you?€™ll need to turn it out onto a plate and put back into the freezer. To do this, simply run a knife along the edge of the bowl and then sit into a larger bowl of hot water for a few seconds. Place a flat plate on top and invert. Serve with roast fruit.
View AllOur Latest News & OffersOrder your Turkey and Ham now!Festive Cheer from our Wine ShopA Christmas to Savour & Remember - our brochureTake Ours Back to Yours